Initiated in November 2016, the Ottawa Bioinformatics User Group, a.k.a. OttBUG, regroups faculty members, professionals, visitors, and students from the National Capital Region who share common interests in computational biology and bioinformatics.
Monthly meetings take place on the first Thursday of each month to discuss work in progress, breakthroughs, and anything in between. Meeting locations and times may vary, leveraging on core members' diversity (University of Ottawa [main & medical campus] and Carleton University).
- Summer break: see you all in Sep/Oct 2018!
- Apr 5, 2018: Mr. Kevin Dick, Candidate for PhD, Carleton University. Reciprocal Perspective for Protein Interaction Prediction and Related Complete Graph Problems. Venue: Room 2104 of the Canal Building, Carleton University.
- Mar 8, 2018: Mr. Jonathan Dench will give a talk entitled "SHAPE-ing the interface of evolutionary theory and empirical research." Venue: LMX 390 (uOttawa, Main Campus). Scrumptious pizzas will be there!
- Feb 8, 2018: Dr. Kin Chan will tell us more about the "Genomic Analysis of Mutation Signatures: from Yeast to Human." Venue: Roger Guidon Hall, room 2112 (Ottawa General Campus). I suspect you can expect some pizzas!
- Jan 4, 2018: No meeting (Xmas break).
- Dec 7, 2017, at 4pm: Dr. Stéphane Aris-Brosou will revisit the link between adaptive evolution and epistasis. Note the change of venue, DRO 214, on the main campus. Don't miss our fantastic pizzas!
- Nov 2, 2017, at 4pm: Dr. Amir Kermany (formerly at Ancestry.com, now a data scientist at Shopify) will give us a unique perspective on human genomics, big data, and a singular career path. Venue: Roger Guidon Hall (Ottawa General Campus) 2112 (nb last minute room change). Only on that day, succulent pizzas will be served.
- Oct 5, 2017, at 4pm: Drs. David Bickel and Abbas Raha will discuss "Why go local? Advantages of local false discovery rates over standard false discovery rates." Note the new venue for this year: Roger Guidon Hall (Ottawa General Campus) 2029. As usual, delicious pizzas will be served.
- Apr 10, 2017, at 3pm: Richard Naud from the Brain and Mind Research Institute of the University of Ottawa will give a presentation entitled: "Burst Ensemble Multiplexing and Cortical Microcircuits." Usual location and pizza!
- Mar 6, 2017, at 3pm: Dr. Mathieu Lavallee-Adam will talk about "Biological network-assisted motif discovery." Location: Cancer Centre at the Ottawa General Hospital, 501 Smyth Road; room 3.102. Pizza will be served!
- Feb 6, 2017, at 3pm: Dr. Jonathan Lee will give a presentation on "The importance of outliers: gene expression variance and its role in tissue specificity and cancer." Location: Cancer Centre at the Ottawa General Hospital, 501 Smyth Road; room 3.102. Pizza will be served!
- Jan 9, 2017, at 3:30pm: Break.
- Dec 5, 2016, at 3:30pm: Dr. Mads Kaern will give a presentation on "Combinatorial perturbations and epistasis analysis reveal the architecture of gene networks." Location: Cancer Centre at the Ottawa General Hospital, 501 Smyth Road; room 3.102. Pizza will be served!
- Nov 7, 2016, at 3pm: Inaugural Meeting, with a presentation by Dr. Ted Perkins on "Seq-ing answers to questions of transcriptional regulation and epigenetics." Location: Cancer Centre Building-General Campus (ORCC), 501 Smyth Road; room 3.102. Slides.